Mission 

Our Mission statement is simple –

First Evangelical Free Church exists to guide people into becoming healthy followers of Jesus Christ.

Vision

The core vision of First Evangelical Free Church is –

to see people know God’s life changing power and love, grow in community, and live out his truth daily.

Core Values

As we pursue our mission and vision, we uplift six core values to be developed in all ages:

The Bible

God’s unchanging truth, our guide for living a life of faith in Jesus.

Transformation

The Gospel of Jesus changes us, makes us new people, and gives us new purpose in life.

Relationships

We’re all connected by faith in Jesus. We want to strengthen those connections in all we do.

Outreach

Bringing good news and good works to our community and to every corner of the earth fueled by God’s love.

Giving

Using our time, talents, and finances to meet needs and joyfully serve others.

Prayer

Unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain. We passionately seek God.

 

We are a congregational church that has an Elder Board to provide directional leadership, along with Deacons and Trustees to aid the work of ministry both spiritually and operationally.

What We Believe

We are a church that is conservative and evangelical in our theology, adhering to the historic truths of the Gospel contained in the 66 books of the Bible. FEFC is part of the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA), and we hold to the Statement of Faith of the EFCA which can be found by clicking here. We allow for humble differences in Christian understanding in non-essentials.

Our History

Since 1882 FEFC has been part of the fabric of a community known for hard work, solid values and family tradition.  As a church – with our community – we have weathered challenging times, and enjoyed periods of growth.

McKeesport was still a borough when our church was formed in 1882. Fred Edquist, a young Swedish preacher, arrived and shortly thereafter held meetings under the banner of the First Swedish Evangelical Free Church. The first church building was located on Jenny Lind Street and was dedicated in 1884, seven years before McKeesport was incorporated as a city. As the church grew, the congregation built a new building up the street and dedicated it in 1907. Most services were still held in Swedish until 1946, when all services were held in English and the church was renamed The First Evangelical Free Church of McKeesport.

A final move to our present location took place in 1967. For 29 years the church grew under the ministry of Pastor Jack Kelly, who retired in 2008, but Pastor Jack still remains a part of our congregation and a Pastor Emeritus at FEFC.  The church structure saw further additions in 1985 and 1996 to form our current campus of an auditorium that seats 800, a full-size gym, offices, classrooms, and multi-purpose large group meeting spaces.

Into the future, as in the past, we desire to grow with and serve the community of McKeesport.